The Joseph A. Holmes Safety Association endeavors to promote health and safety within the mining industry. We believe that providing financial aid to students in the pursuit of education related to mining safety will result in safer mines and healthier environments within the mining industry. To that end, we have instituted this Scholarship Program and formed the Scholarship Evaluation Committee.
This scholarship program shall be open to persons who are pursuing careers in the mining industry, safety and health fields. Scholarship awards are available in the following categories:
- High school graduates (graduating seniors) pursuing a college or university degree program.
- Undergraduate students currently enrolled in a college or university degree program.
- Graduates of a college or university pursuing a graduate degree
Applicant must satisfy each of the following criteria:
- Must have been accepted by an accredited college or university or currently enrolled at an accredited college or university in a degree program in mine safety, occupational or industrial health and safety, industrial hygiene, safety management or other related safety programs.
- Must provide a transcript of grades for the last 3 years of completed education (i.e. high school or college level)
- Must complete the Financial Disclosure Information section to verify financial status and expenses of all persons living in the applicant’s household.
- Must submit a 100-200 word essay on “why I want to study for a degree or pursue a career in the mine safety field.”
- Must complete the Survey of Extracurricular Activities.
- Must submit two or three letters of recommendation (at least one academic).
- Must complete application and submit it with all required documents.
Rating the Application
To preserve the impartiality in the application review process, each application shall be copied and given an identification number by an official designated member of the Scholarship Committee. The designated member shall obliterate all references to names, schools, location or other identifying information on the copies of the application for use by the Committee. At no time shall any of the obliterated information be made known until the review process is completed and awardee(s) identified.
Committee members shall evaluate each of the applications and affix a numerical rating according to provided criteria.
The committee Chairperson shall convene to the committee not later than 30 days prior to the date of the Annual Meeting of the National Holmes Safety Association each year (usually in June) for the purpose of selecting the successful applicant(s). All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion or disability. Successful applicants will be notified
For questions or concerns please contact the chairperson or a committee member in your area.
Sylvia Ortiz - TX
Bob Novello - TX
Arturo Muñoz - TX
Sandi Grant - TX
Larry Harshbarger - IN
Wayne Kordonowy - OK
Ronda Larson - CO
Joey Mercado - CA
Ben Hart - FL