At New Mexico Tech we support ongoing professional development of faculty. This includes hosting guest speakers and running workshops on a variety of topics. We also have regularly scheduled focused training events, such as those described below.
AA Newsletter Submissions
Would you like to submit a department or individual accomplishment for inclusion in an upcoming Academic Affairs newsletter? If so, please visit our submission page. Images for use in the newsletter should be emailed to Lyndsey.Lewis@nmt.edu. Please include a caption and photo credit for the image. If there are individuals in the picture, please include their names and information (e.g., major).
Faculty Development Week
Every year the Office of Academic Affairs organizes workshops for the week prior to the beginning of the fall semester on a variety of topics of interest to faculty. If you have suggestions for future workshops or guest speakers contact Michael Jackson. The schedule for the 2022 Faculty Development Week can be found here.
Orientation for New Faculty
Prior to the beginning of the fall semester the Office of Academic Affairs runs a day-long training session for new faculty members. For more information contact Michael Jackson.
Senate Faculty Development Committee
The Faculty Senate has a very active Faculty Development Committee, which organizes mentorship for new faculty and training events every semester. In recent years, the committee has hosted a very successful spring-semester Faculty Research Workshop in collaboration with the Vice President for Research and Economic Development. Events and activities for the upcoming year will be posted here at a later date.
- Fall 2022 Teaching Tea Time
- Wednesday, August 21, Noon - 1 pm, CITL (Speare 113). Dr. Sharon Sessions, "What are Core Values, and why are they important?"
- Wednesday, November 9, Noon - 1 pm, CITL (Speare 113). TBA
- Fall 2022 Facultly Research Presentations
- Friday, October 7, 3:30 pm, Raul & Shari Deju University House. Dr. Alex Gysi, "A tale of critical minerals and ore-forming processes"
- Friday, October 21, 3:30 pm, Raul & Shari Deju University House. Dr. Kooktae Lee.
- Research Ethics @ NMT series
- Misconduct & Whistleblowing, Tuesday Sept. 13, noon - 1:30 pm, Room 253, Bureau of Geology.
- Other Events
- What does it mean to be a Hispanic Serving Institution? Wednesday, Sept. 14, 3 - 4 pm, CITL (Speare 113). Presented by the AT-THE-STEM-NM Title V Grant.
- Faculty mentor/mentee breakfast, Friday, November 4, 8:30 am - 11 am, CITL (Speare 113). This is a great opportunity for informal conversations between faculty mentors and mentees. Breakfast burritos, coffee, etc.
Faculty Development Resources
A collection of useful resources on a variety of topics can be found in our Faculty Development Resources Google Drive Folder. Note: this material is only accessible from New Mexico Tech authorized accounts. The material is also available upon request to Michael Jackson at email@example.com.
Other relevant faculty resource pages include:
NMT Academic Affairs Calendar (includes most scheduled development activities)
Resources specific to the 2020-2021 academic year