New Mexico Tech Gym updated Policies and Procedures
- The new Bouldering Wall is OPEN! Students and non-students must take the safety course. To schedule for the safety course, contact Scott Roberts (email@example.com) for both students and non-students. Purchase the course HERE. To make a reservation to use the wall, call 835-5131.
- The locker room showers ARE OPEN.
- Locker rental is $15.00 for 1 year. Pay HERE. A gym staff member will assist you with your locker combination once you have paid.
- Gym memberships must be purchased online. Payments are no longer accepted in person. The Gym's store front can be found here: NMIMT M-Mountain Mall
- Single Day Passes are available. The fee for a single day is $5.00. Must bring exact CASH.
FALL SEMESTER 2021 Gym Hours
Monday - Friday: 6:00 am to 10:00 pm
Saturdays: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Sundays: Noon to 7:00 pm
(Hours are subject to change)
Labor Day 2021 Weekend Hours
Sat 9/4: 10 am to 5 pm
Sun 9/5: Noon to 5 pm
Mon 9/6: 9 am to 4 pm
New Policies & Procedures
- Face coverings are required again, regardless if you are fully vaccinated. Face coverings must cover both the mouth and nose (effective 8/3).
- Temperatures must be taken at the kiosk upon entry. Only members with a temperature below 100.4 Fahrenheit are permitted to enter the facility. Please note that to respect your privacy your temperature will not be recorded.
- A new magnetic stripe card is required to enter the building. Be sure to scan in at the front desk EACH TIME YOU ENTER THE FACILITY. The NMT Gym is required by state mandate to have a record of every member that enters the facility for contact tracing purposes (in the event of a positive COVID-19 diagnosis). NMT ID Cards are required for staff and students and other members will be provided an appropriate card for this purpose.
- Please bring a sealable water bottle from home. We encourage the use of reusable bottles that are easily distinguishable as your own.
- Be mindful of others near you, and those waiting to use a piece of equipment. DO NOT USE MULTIPLE MACHINES AT ONE TIME, ESPECIALLY DURING PEAK HOURS.
- Multiple disinfectant spray bottles are placed around the weight room. Please clean your weights/benches/machines after use. Our team is cleaning common areas and public spaces three times daily.
- If you or a member of your household are experiencing any symptoms of Covid-19, or feel ill in any way, please stay home and do not return to the gym until your symptoms have subsided.
- ONLY new members will need to complete a A COVID-19 liability waiver form before their membership can resume.
The Physical Recreation program shares in the educational mission of the university by offering opportunities to experience personal growth, social development, improve physical and mental health, and to develop lifetime leisure skills for a healthier lifestyle. The department organizes, administers, and promotes a broad program of competitive, recreational, and educational activities for students, faculty, and staff members at New Mexico Tech.
The Gym is comprised of two large multipurpose gymnasiums, a newly renovated weight and fitness room, a new training bouldering wall, one racquetball court, and one squash court. Additional recreational areas include a large, multi-use athletic field, multi-use turf court, and a sand volleyball pit.
Students, employees, and members of the Socorro community can use Tech’s athletic facilities. A valid student, faculty or staff identification card OR gym magnetic swipe card is required for entry to the Gym. Everyone must swipe in before using the facility. Full-time students and NMT employees are eligible to receive passes for their spouse and dependent children (between the ages of 12 and 21). If a gym card is lost or stolen, a replacement swipe card is $10. Fees for Gym use are identified below:
Students, faculty and staff as well as Socorro community members are encouraged to take part in intramural sports which are held year round. Socorro community members pay an intramural fee of $15.00 per league.
If a student is interested in developing a specific sporting skill or interested in participating in a higher level of competition, the Physical Recreation Sports Clubs program can provide just that!
The department employees a handful of students every semester. The positions include; gym/weight room attendants, referees for soccer, volleyball, basketball and softball AND score keepers for various sports.