N4WPP Water Symposium
Announcing the 2023 N4WPP Water Symposium
When: November 3rd, 2023
Where: UNM-Gallup Campus
705 Gurley Ave., Gallup, NM
The Navajo Tech-New Mexico Tech Navajo Nation Water Purification Project (N4WPP) is excited to invite you to the 2023 Water Symposium, where Four Corners area high school students are invited to help solve some of the most important water challenges in New Mexico and across the Navajo Nation.
- Win awards and scholarships during the team water challenge.
- Create a name for your school among other competing schools.
- Collect swag from government agencies and industry leaders.
- Collect badges by visiting professionals at their booths.
- Bring your families to participate in fun activities.
- Learn how you can become a leader in water resources.
What is the N4WPP Water Symposium?
N4WPP—the Navajo Technical University-New Mexico Tech Navajo Nation Water Purification Project—aims to train students in the water sciences and in the technical aspects of water filtration at sites on the Navajo Nation using technology developed at NMT in partnership with PESCO.
Part of the N4WPP mission is to engage high school students through an annual water symposium held at locations on or near the Navajo Nation.
The Navajo Nation currently faces a severe water crisis where water resources are sparse and where some water sources may not be suitable for drinking water or livestock use. Technology exists to help filter the water, but there are many questions associated with logistics and community engagement. Students will be preparing for a challenge that resembles a cross between Science Olympiad, Science Fair, and MESA.
- About one month prior to the symposium, we will share resources on all aspects of
the role of water in life, including water-related science, engineering solutions,
entrepreneurship opportunities, and community engagement.
- In addition, one month prior, we will release the official Water Challenge, which tasks students with developing innovative solutions to water problems.
- Using the given study materials, background, and water challenge students will work as a team to prepare a solution to the water challenge and prepare for an exam to test their knowledge.
- On the day of the symposium, students will take the exam and present their solution to a panel of judges. They will also have the opportunity to participate in several other related opportunities.
School/Team Registration for the water symposium
If you or someone in your organization is interested in being a judge for the event or a mentor to a high school team, please fill out the following form:
REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE AS A JUDGERegister to participate as a mentor
College Poster Session
Students attending universities from around New Mexico and the Navajo Nation will present posters describing their work in the research field of water resources.
If you are a student interested in presenting a poster, please fill out the following form below to submit an abstract.
Water Professionals Panel
A distinguished panel will share their unique stories that lead them to working to address social challenges and solve the complex challenges related to water resources in native communities.
Prizes and Awards will be available to participants of both the Water Challenge and poster session. The prizes available include scholarships and medals. All participants will have the opportunity to meet with potential employers with internship opportunities.
The winners in each category will be announced during our Reception and Awards Ceremony. Sponsors, industry partners, and colleges will have booths to share opportunities for students as well as provide information.
Organizations that wish to parter with the Water Symposium are cordially invited to bring a booth to the event. This will give your organization a chance to interact directly with participating students.
Donate to the Symposium
If you are interested in supporting the 2023 Water Symposium, please consider becoming a sponsor of the event! If you are interested in becoming a sponsor, you can donate to our event at the following link:
DONATE TO THE 2023 WATER SYMPOSIUM
From the website, select "NMT/Navajo Tech Collaboration (N4WPP)" in the Designation drop-down menu. Please include the phrase "Water Symposium" in the Comments section.
Supporter Tier (Up to $249)
Friends Tier ($250-$499)
Friends Tier donors will have their Name or Organization listed on the Water Symposium Website.
Sponsors Tier ($500-$999)
Sponsors Tier donors will have their Name or Organization listed on the Water Symposium Website and in the brochure given to all participants on the day of the symposium.
Major Sponsors Tier ($1000+)
Major Sponsors Tier donors will have their Name or Organization listed on the Water Symposium Website, in the brochure given to all participants on the day of the symposium, and on the t-shirt that will be given out to participants.
For more information about the 2023 N4WPP Water Symposium, please contact:
- Bonnie Frey, Geochemist/Analytical Laboratory Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laila Sturgis, Hydrogeologist - New Mexico Bureau of Geology & Mineral Resources - email@example.com
- Sharon Sessions, NMT Director of Outreach - firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to thank the following sponsors for making this event possible