The School Certifying Official (SCO) is an employee of the institution that is responsible for the following:
Keep VA informed of the enrollment status of Veterans and other eligible persons. Use basic forms to keep VA informed, such as:
- Enrollment Certification (VA Form 22-1999) to report required enrollment information
- Notice of Change in Student Status (VA Form 22-1999b) to report changes to enrollment information
- Monitor the subjects pursued by a student to certify to VA only those subjects that apply to the student’s program
- Monitor student’s grades to ensure satisfactory progress is being made.
- Report when a student was terminated due to unsatisfactory progress
- Monitor student’s conduct and report when student is suspended or dismissed
NOTE: SCOs should submit initial enrollment information within 30 days of the beginning of the term. If possible, VA recommends precertifying a student’s enrollment before the beginning of the term in order to prevent gaps in benefit payments. SCOs must also report changes in enrollment within 30 days of any change.
Keep up-to-date on current VA rules and benefits:
- Provide e-mail address to VA Education Liaison Representative (ELR)
- Read and maintain VA bulletins provided by your ELR
- Attend VA training opportunities
Maintain records of VA students and make all records available for inspection:
- Retain a file of VA papers submitted and records of academic progress, program pursuit, etc.
- Maintain records for at leastthree years following the student’s last date of attendance
- Ensure that records are kept in a safe place and that the privacy of VA students is protected
A school’s file for a VA student should contain:
- Copies of all VA paperwork
- The school’s transcript, grade reports, drop slips, registration slips (for those courses dropped during drop/add), tuition and fee charges, transcripts from previous schools with evaluations of same, student’s school application, records of disciplinary action, program outline, a curriculum guide or graduation evaluation form, and any other pertinent forms
New Mexico Tech School Certifying Officials
Elizabeth Lyons & Naomi Schweitzer
575.835.5001 | 575-835-5241