Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) is a free program for 9th-12th grade students at Manzano, West Mesa, Valley, Atrisco Heritage Academy, and Socorro High Schools interested in pursuing a college degree in math or science. We cater to first-generation, low-income students who are U.S. citizens desiring extra support and advisement. UBMS provides several services including after school tutoring, a 6-week residential program at New Mexico Tech or University of New Mexico, monthly student and parent workshops, cultural events, and opportunities to travel nation-wide visiting college campuses.
Program services & Activities:
- Academic Advising
- Weekly tutoring at your school
- College & University tours
- Career & college exploration
- Financial aid assistance including scholarship information
- FAFSA workshops
- Assistance with college applications
- College entrance exams assistance; ACT/SAT prep
- Individualized assistance with personal, social, familial and developmental concerns
- Cultural and educational field trips
- Six week summer residential program in New Mexico Tech or University Of New Mexico
- A community of young, motivated learners!
To qualify for the program participants must:
- Be from low income family and/or first generation to college
- Be enrolled in one of the High schools Manzano, West Mesa, Valley, and Atrisco Heritage Academy
- Have a desire to go to college!
- Be a citizen or a permanent resident of the US
Once you are accepted into NMT-UBMS you are expected to attend both the school year and summer components. During the school year, participants attend tutoring, meet with advisors, attend Saturday workshops and educational or cultural activities. Summer program is held in New Mexico Tech or University of New Mexico for six weeks, Monday thru Friday attending daily classes and educational workshops.
TO APPLY ----Please click on link below to apply online. For a downloadable copy click on the pdf download link
Program coordinator (Albuquerque)