Flags On Display at Fidel Center:
- Colombia, Croatia, Spain, Brazil, Taiwan and Netherlands (Oct. 5-11).
- Nicaragua, Qatar, Senegal, Ecuador, Mexico and Ivory Coast.(Oct. 12-18)
Tech in the news and on the Web:
- The Times of India published an article about Tech graduate Dr. Manoj Kumar, who is now a professor at Thapar University in Patiala, India. The article begins: "In the revolutionary world of nano technology, a young scientist based in Patiala is silently trying to create a tiny ripple by developing nano sensors for early detection of cancer." Dr. Kumar completed his doctorate in chemistry at Tech in 2009. He won the 2009 Langmuir Award at Tech, which is given to the graduate student who published the top research paper in the previous year. Click here for the complete article.
Winds of Change magazine published a profile of New Mexico Tech in its most recent issue. The magazine is the official publication of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society, or AISES. Click here for the article.
- Los Alamos National Laboratory published an article online that mentions New Mexico Tech graduate Dr. Alexandria Marchi. The article describes Dr. Marchi's research and the Engineering Institute at LANL. Marchi earned her bachelor's at New Mexico Tech in chemical engineering in 2008 and later earned her doctorate at Duke University. Click here for the article.
Items of interest:
- Have you wanted to start running, but weren't sure how to begin? The Couch-to-5K program can get you started running! By the end of 10 weeks you could be ready to run 5K (3.1 miles) in about 30 minutes. The program started Monday, Sept. 28. However, it's not too late to join. Just meet at Tech Gym at 5:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday evenings. The program moves you from walking briskly to walking and jogging in intervals, until you're running continously. Each session lasts about 30 minutes. You'll also need to do a third session on your own or with a buddy on the weekends. That's it -- just 30 minutes three times a week for eight weeks. Questions? Please contact Brian Borchers at email@example.com.
Did you know? New Mexico Tech sends surplus inventory to Bentley's Auction every month. The company auctions New Mexico Tech inventory on the second Friday of every month. Auctions start at 8:30 a.m. at 4900 Pan American Freeway NE, Albuquerque. Buyers can bid on items in person, on-line or by phone. The website is www.bentleysauction.com or auctionsouthwest.com. Bentley's phone number is (505) 344-1812
- What can you do with your empty printer and copier ink cartridges, and the cell phones you're no longer using? Put them in a collection box for the Rotary Club of Socorro. This project is partly community service, to keep the cartridges and phones out of the landfill, and partly an effort to raise funds for Rotary's local, national, and international projects. You will find collection boxes on campus in the Fidel Center, Human Resources, NRAO, MRO, and the Bureau of Geology. You will also see them at various locations around Socorro. Rotary thanks you for your help!
Homes For Sale on Tech Hill
- 503 Mesa Place. Contact: Aili, (575) 518-8687, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1218 Apache Drive. Contact Cecilie Bodman of Equity New Mexico at (505) 250-1356. For more information about this home, go to http://www.trulia.com/property/3015582205-1218-Apache-Dr-Socorro-NM-87801
501 NW Mesa Place. Contact Don Brown, Socorro Plaza Realty at (505) 507-2915 or email@example.com.