Meeting, Jan. 16, 2007
New Mexico Tech Alumni Association
Meeting Notes – January 16, 2007
Director for Advancement Cheryl Pulaski introduced herself and new Assistant Director for Advancement Carol Lynn Tiegs. Cheryl and Carol Lynn discussed new plans for alumni activities, outlined in the Calendar of Events. Plans include an update of the existing alumni website. A subcommittee is working on draft amendments to the association bylaws, which should be complete by the next meeting.
Carol Lynn presented a draft alumni survey form. The survey will go out in the spring issue of Gold Pan. Please let Carol Lynn know if you have any suggestions on survey format or content.
Prof. Andy Campbell of Earth and Environmental Science (EES) discussed his department’s efforts in alumni relations. Andy is filling a new volunteer position created in EES to reconnect with and inform EES alumni. EES is producing an annual alumni newsletter, and participating in two alumni events each year in connection with professional conferences. The department is also doing fundraising for projects designed to enhance students’ academic experience at Tech. The Clay T. and Sallie Smith Student Fund has just been developed to honor Clay and Sallie, and to enhance student field experiences. All alumni are invited to a kick-off dinner honoring Sallie and the fund on Friday, February 9 at Macey Center. (Contact Carol Lynn for information and to RSVP.)
Alumni put forward the following suggestions in a brainstorming session:
- Lifetime New Mexico Tech e-mail;
- Alumni of the month on the website, with a selection process;
- Ability to contact alumni through the website (take security issues into account);
- More photos from current events on the website – a “photo newsletter”;
- A virtual tour of the campus and buildings on the web – could use Technical Communication students/classes to design;
- An open invitation to alumni to all graduation events
- Departmental news on the web
- Include Socorro community events on the Gold Pan calendar and website
- Use the Council of Chairs to get information on what’s happening in various departments to pass on to alumni;
- For 49ers and May reunions do tours again – possible destinations: Langmuir/MRO, M Mountain, geology tours (Quebrades, Bosque…), EMRTC, Camino Real Heritage Center, art galleries of Socorro and Magdalena.
- Purchase and spread the word about the new NMT license plate, soon available through the Motor Vehicle Department. The plate costs $37, of which $25 goes to New Mexico Tech to fund alumni activities, including Gold Pan.
- Identify four people you know who would be great alumni friends of New Mexico Tech, and provide contact information
- Consider being an officer, or committee/task force chair for the alumni association. A slate of officer candidates will be presented at the next meeting.
The following committees are now in place, with volunteers already involved, and there is lots of room for more volunteers.
- Distinguished Alumni – Edie Steinhoff, Sharon Sessions, Louise Chamberlin
- Reunion – Linda Gonzales
- Annual Fund – Emma Aafloy
- 49ers – Judy Lovelace, Linda Gonzales, Luz Barreras, Vicky Gonzales
- Cat O’Connor has volunteered to help put tours together for events.
Next Meeting – we look forward to seeing you – bring your friends. The next New Mexico Tech Alumni Association meeting will be Tuesday, February 20 from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. on the third floor of the Fidel Center.
Contact information, Office for Advancement
Cheryl Pulaski, 835-6769 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Lynn Tiegs, 835-5292 or email@example.com