Meeting, Feb. 20, 2007
Socorro-area Alumni Meeting
February 20, 2007
The list of Alumni Association directors for 2007/2008 is attached (see Alumni Association Directors). The directors will hold their first meeting in March, and will address new bylaws for the association.
- The Distinguished Alumni Award Committee has met and is reviewing the qualifications and application form for awards.
- Lorenzo Maes (’05), Tech’s web master, has been working with Carol Lynn Tiegs and Kathy Hedges on a new alumni webpage. The page should be live in March. The site will include association membership applications, association bylaws, and a list of lifetime members.
- Plans for this year’s Silver (classes of 1972-1982) and Gold (1957 and earlier) reunions, May 11-12 include tours of campus sites and a reception at the Capitol Bar on Friday. People have already called to say that they plan to attend.
- The decision was made to hold a Saturday evening alumni event at the Capitol Bar during 49ers weekend, October 19-21. The planning committee will meet in early March.
- Carol Lynn and Cheryl Pulaski held an alumni event in Santa Fe on February 8. John Dowdle (’60) and his wife, Ann, have offered to host a summer event at their home in Santa Fe.
- Carol Lynn and Cheryl will join Dr. Navid Mojtabai (BS ’82, MS ’84) in hosting a Colorado alumni reception in Denver on February 27 in conjunction with the Society of Mineral Engineers event there that week.
- Linda Gonzales suggested adding a space for alumni to indicate their areas of volunteer interest, and whether they would prefer to receive Gold Pan electronically on the Alumni Association application form.
Brainstorming on meaningful Alumni Association benefits
- Free or discounted pool and gym privileges
- Membership cards (distinct cards for lifetime members)
- Merchandise discounts
- Tech items – pens, mugs, etc.
- On-campus wireless access
- Passes with campus privileges/discounts for visiting alumni
Don’t forget to pay your association dues! Dues provide funding for Gold Pan and alumni events.
$30/person or $200 lifetime ($350 for alumni couple)
Send dues to:
Office for Advancement
(attn: Carol Lynn)
New Mexico Tech
801 Leroy Place
Socorro, NM 87801