Flags On Display at Fidel Center:
- Mexico, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, United Arab Emirates, Switzerland and Taiwan (Feb. 2-8).
- United Kingdom, Iran, Japan, Serbia, Belgium and Trinidad & Tobago (Feb. 9-15)
New Mexico Tech in the News
- The University of Kansas website reported that Dana Adkins-Heljeson, the web manager for the Kansas Geological Survey, received the second annual KGS Outstanding Support Staff Recognition Award. Adkins-Heljeson earned a bachelor’s in basic science at New Mexico Tech in 1983. He was presented the award for his work on the KGS website, which features technical databases, interactive maps, educational materials, a bibliography of
Kansasgeology and online publications. Prior to moving to Kansas, Adkins-Heljeson was a bibliographer for the New Mexico Bureau of Geology and Mineral Resources.
Items of interest:
Attention Campus Community: The New Mexico Tech Human Resources Office has issued a revised Employee Handbook, which has been completely rewritten from the previous edition. The full document is available for review at https://www.nmt.edu/images/stories/hr/Employee_Handbook_2015.pdf. All employees are invited to review this document and submit comments to Joann Salome at email@example.com. The deadline to submit comments is Friday, Febuary 6, 2015. This message is also online at http://www.nmt.edu/nmt-policies-and-procedures.
The 19th Annual Community Arts Party is looking for volunteers. The event is Saturday, Feb. 7, at Finley Gym in Socorro. Volunteers are needed for the following tasks:
• Present a Project
• Help with a Project
• Floaters (go-fer, provide breaks for presenters, refresh supplies, etc.)
• Supply Donations (collect & donate supplies for projects – glass jars, wine bottles, newspapers, etc.)
• Supply Movers (load & truck supplies to and from Finley Gym: 1 p.m. Feb. 6 and 3 p.m. Feb. 7
• Set Up (Feb. 6, 2pm Finley Gym)
• Clean Up (Feb. 7, 3pm Finley Gym)
• Have Idea for a Project
Tell us how you can help! Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 575-835-5688. We hope to hear from you soon! Please forward this email to anyone who might be interested in this wonderful event!
- New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology is seeking comments from the public about the Institute in preparation for its periodic evaluation by its regional accrediting agency. The Institute will host a visit March 23-24, 2015, with a team representing the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. New Mexico Tech has been accredited by the Commission since 1949. The team will review the Institute's ongoing ability to meet the Commission's Criteria for Accreditation. The public is invited to submit comments regarding the Institute to:
The public may also submit comments on the Commission's website at www.ncahlc.org. Comments must address substantive matters related to the quality of the institution or its academic programs. Comments must be in writing. All comments must be received by Monday, Feb. 23, 2015.
- The Business Office is seeing a few changes in 2015. The Travel Office is now in Wells Hall 126. Camille Gurule, assistant controller, is in Fidel 231. Sherry Rodriguez, fixed assets analyst is now in Fidel Room 233.
The Advancement Office wrapped up its fall phone-a-thon in November. However, anyone is welcome to contribute to the fund-raising effort. Your donations are 100 percent tax-deductible. Click here to visit the donation page.
The ongoing construction of the new Bureau of Geology building will necessitate the closure of the sidewalk along Bullock Avenue during working hours periodically. This project is scheduled to be completed in late winter/early spring 2015.
What can you do with your empty printer and copier ink cartridges, and the cell phones you're no longer using? Put them in a collection box for the Rotary Club of Socorro. This project is partly community service, to keep the cartridges and phones out of the landfill, and partly an effort to raise funds for Rotary's local, national, and international projects. You will find collection boxes on campus in the Fidel Center, Human Resources, NRAO, MRO, and the Bureau of Geology. You will also see them at various locations around Socorro. Rotary thanks you for your help!
Homes For Sale on Tech Hill
1302 North Drive. Contact Rob Sanford at (217) 390-8045 or e-mail email@example.com.
1218 Apache Drive. Contact Dr. Ashok Ghosh at 575-517-0793 or firstname.lastname@example.org
499 Mesa. For more information, contact Bill at email@example.com or (505) 306-3490.
501 NW Mesa Place. Contact Don Brown, Socorro Plaza Realty at (505) 507-2915 or firstname.lastname@example.org.