Did this e-newsletter get forwarded to you? You can sign up to receive this weekly message at www.nmt.edu/nmt-calendar
Flag Rotation at Fidel Center
- Netherlands, Poland, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Libya, and the United States (April 24 to 30)
New Mexico Tech on the web and in the news:
- El Defensor Chieftain published an article about higher education funding cuts in New Mexico, with comments from President Dr. Stephen Wells and V.P. of Finance Cleve McDaniel. Click here for that article.
- The Albuquerque Journal published an op-ed piece co-authored by the seven university presidents in New Mexico. The column urges the Governor to reinstate full funding for all higher education in New Mexico. Click here for op-ed piece. The Journal also published a news article about higher education funding, Click here for that news article.
MarketWatch.com published a news release from Sierra Minerals Inc., announcing that NMT graduate Igor Gonzales has been named the president and CEO. He earned his bachelor's in chemical engineering from the University of San Antonio Abad in Cusco, Peru. Gonzales came to New Mexico Tech as a Fulbright Scholar and earned his master's in metallurgy in 1984.. Click here for the news release.
- JuniorMiningNetwork.com published a news release from Laurion Mineral Exploration, announcing that NMT graduate Terry Jensen has been named to the board of directors. Jensen has more than 40 years experience in the mining industry. Click here for the news release.
Items of interest:
- Did you know? New Mexico Tech sends surplus inventory to Bentley's Auction every month. The company auctions New Mexico Tech inventory on the second Friday of every month. Auctions start at 8:30 a.m. at 4900 Pan American Freeway NE, Albuquerque. Buyers can bid on items in person, on-line or by phone. The website is www.bentleysauction.com or auctionsouthwest.com. Bentley's phone number is (505) 344-1812.
SoLLVE, the Socorro-Los Lunas Van Express, currently has a couple of openings, for either full or part (2-3 days/week) time. We leave Los Lunas at 7 AM, arriving slightly before 8 AM at the NMT Tech campus,and regularly stop and pick up at the upper campus as well. Departures from Tech are at 5:05 p.m. and return to Los Lunas just past 6 p.m.. Our van was purchased new last spring and is well maintained. Please see our website: nmt.edu\~sollve and address inquiries to David McCraw: David.Mccraw@nmt.edu, 835-5594.
- What can you do with your empty printer and copier ink cartridges, and the cell phones you're no longer using? Put them in a collection box for the Rotary Club of Socorro. This project is partly community service, to keep the cartridges and phones out of the landfill, and partly an effort to raise funds for Rotary's local, national, and international projects. You will find collection boxes on campus in the Fidel Center, Human Resources, NRAO, MRO, and the Bureau of Geology. You will also see them at various locations around Socorro. Rotary thanks you for your help!
The Albuquerque-to-Socorro commuter van has an available seat. If you are interested please contact Rob V Hepler at 575-835-8027 (text or voice) or firstname.lastname@example.org.Some key points about our van pool:
- We operate every day that NM Tech is open.
- We have two stops in Albuquerque and in Socorro
- I-25 and Paseo Del Norte –leaves at 6:32 AM
- I-25 and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. – leaves at 6:45
- Cramer Hall parking lot
- EMRTC parking lot
- We leave NM Tech at 5:05 p.m. and stop at the other stop on campus before heading home.
- We lease our van from New Mexico Vanpools (a non-profit organization) who set our monthly fees based on operational costs.
- Our fees have averaged $130.46 per month for the last year. If one considers vehicle expenses and wear and tear (depreciation), for most folks, driving their own vehicle, this cost is less than would be spent on 6 round trips from Albuquerque to Socorro. This does not consider your personal time spent on driving your own vehicle.
- As a passenger on the van you can sleep or work during the trip! Most folks sleep.
Homes For Sale on Tech Hill
1224 Apache Drive. Contact realtor Betty Houston at (575) 835-1422 or email@example.com.
- 503 Mesa Drive. Contact: Aili, (575) 518-8687, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1218 Apache Drive. Contact Cecilie Bodman of Equity New Mexico at (505) 250-1356. For more information about this home, go to http://www.trulia.com/property/3015582205-1218-Apache-Dr-Socorro-NM-87801
501 NW Mesa Drive. Contact Jeanene Hall, ERA Sellers and Buyers Real Estate at (575) 835-0888 or email@example.com.
- 497 Mesa Place. Call (505) 797-2099 or (505) 595-4351, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.