Flags On Display at Fidel Center:
- Portugal, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Russia and Netherlands (Nov. 23-29).
- Thailand, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Panama, Romania and United Arab Emirates (Nov. 30-Dec. 6)
Tech in the news and on the Web:
The Albuquerque Journal published an article about the Bureau of Geology potentially being called in to map the aquifer in Curry and Roosevelt counties in eastern New Mexico. Clovis city officials and county leaders are concerned about depleting the local water supply. The article mentions several Bureau scientists by anme. Click here for the article.
- SETI reported on its website about astronomers tracking a piece of "space junk" last week. The Magdalena Ridge Observatory took part in the project and helped gather images of the debris. Click here for more about the project, including images from the MRO 2.4-meter telescope.
Items of interest:
- New Mexico FIRST® LEGO® League youth robotics event is calling for volunteers to judge youth competitions, particularly in Socorro. Qualifying events will be at the locations:
- Socorro, Saturday, Dec. 5, Sarracino Middle School
- Durango, CO, Saturday, Dec, 12, Escalante Middle School
- Los Alamos, Saturday, Dec. 19, Los Alamos Middle School
The championship event will be Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 8 a.m.- 6 p.m., at Menaul School, 301 Menaul NE, in Albuquerque.
These events draw students from New Mexico and southwest Colorado. FIRST LEGO League events include teams ages 9 to 14, and Junior events include teams ages 6 to 9.
Volunteers may be adults or high-school students (especially those on FIRST teams). For more information about FIRST, FLL, or Jr. FLL, please visit www.usfirst.org. For more details regarding volunteer training and requirements, visit the website - www.nmfll.org - and go to the "Volunteers" page. For questions, send an email to NM FLL Volunteer Coordinator, email@example.com.
Did you know? New Mexico Tech sends surplus inventory to Bentley's Auction every month. The company auctions New Mexico Tech inventory on the second Friday of every month. Auctions start at 8:30 a.m. at 4900 Pan American Freeway NE, Albuquerque. Buyers can bid on items in person, on-line or by phone. The website is www.bentleysauction.com or auctionsouthwest.com. Bentley's phone number is (505) 344-1812
- What can you do with your empty printer and copier ink cartridges, and the cell phones you're no longer using? Put them in a collection box for the Rotary Club of Socorro. This project is partly community service, to keep the cartridges and phones out of the landfill, and partly an effort to raise funds for Rotary's local, national, and international projects. You will find collection boxes on campus in the Fidel Center, Human Resources, NRAO, MRO, and the Bureau of Geology. You will also see them at various locations around Socorro. Rotary thanks you for your help!
Homes For Sale on Tech Hill
- 503 Mesa Place. Contact: Aili, (575) 518-8687, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1218 Apache Drive. Contact Cecilie Bodman of Equity New Mexico at (505) 250-1356. For more information about this home, go to http://www.trulia.com/property/3015582205-1218-Apache-Dr-Socorro-NM-87801
501 NW Mesa Place. Contact Don Brown, Socorro Plaza Realty at (505) 507-2915 or email@example.com.