Construction & Remodeling
The Facilities Management department of New Mexico Tech is responsible for many construction
Leo Guerra, Construction Manager
projects on campus. This page is made available to show the progress of these projects, including the current status of each project and other important information.
The information presented here is updated on a regular basis, but may not be 100% current at the time it is viewed. For current status of an individual project, contact the New Mexico Tech Facilities Management office at 505-835-5533.
Kelly Building: addition by outside contractor, upgrade to existing building by FM; completion July 2009
Jones Hall reconstruction, including plumbing, heating and cooling, electrical, flooring, safety; completion September 2009
Fidel Center: landscaping on south; completion July 2009
SAC: remodel for Campus Security relocation; completion May 2009
Dominici Building (NRAO): chilled water system upgrade; completion May 2009
Desert Willow Apartments: water drainage improvement; completion September 2009
Graduate Dorm: demolition; completion August 2009
IRIS/Passcal: addition of 5 offices by outside contractor; completion September 2009
Fitch Hall: remodel for Humanities Department in planning stage
MSEC landscaping improvement: on-going
Completed in Current Year
Civil Engineering building
Fidel Center: third floor and landscaping on east side
Jones Annex: slab stabilization
Campus directional sign at Leroy Place and School of Mines Road
Gym offices remodel
NRAO storage building
Mini-Baja metal building
Fine Arts drainage improvement
Natural gas system upgrade along Canyon Road
Trees throughout Campus: assessment, removal, and replacement
Swim Center: exhauster installed
EMRTC garage and carpenter shop: electrical upgrade
Golf Shop grill
R&ED machine shop
(List last updated on 5/13/2009)
NM Tech Facilities Management
Policy for Alterations and Renovations of Buildings
All alterations and or renovations of Institute Buildings MUST comply with the following to ensure project coordination and review, code compliances and safety.
- Work in Institute buildings may not be performed by departmental staff, students or volunteers without prior written approval from the Director of Facilities Management. This will only be approved for very simple projects that can be completed safely with minimum risk of injury.
- All work in Institute buildings will be coordinated by the Facilities Management Department.
- Contractor services must be arranged through applicable Institute procurement and contracting channels, regardless of the funding source for the work. All work of this nature will be routed through Facilities Management. Depending on the Facilities Management staff’s work load, a determination will be made to do it in house or contract out the service.
- When Facilities Management receives requests for renovation work, they will make sure all construction permits and Fire Marshal permits are in place prior to the start of work.
These procedures are necessary to ensure health and safety and the appropriate coordination of building systems. Projects started without proper review could have the following problems:
- Workers could unknowingly disturb asbestos material, creating a hazard for building occupants.
- Completed projects may have to be dismantled when discovered because of Fire Marshal violations.
- Unqualified electrical work could result in breaker overloads and shock hazards to building occupants.
- Changes to building ventilation systems could cause the heating and cooling to work improperly.
- Any work done outside of code could make the modification to a building unsafe to the occupants.
Please direct any questions or concerns about the content of the Facilities Management's website to firstname.lastname@example.org