Daniels Fund Donation Puts "World of Wonder" Campaign over Halfway Mark, March 10, 2008
by Kathy Hedges
SOCORRO, N.M., March 10, 2008 — New Mexico Tech’s environmentally friendly child care center has moved one step closer to reality with a generous donation from the Daniels Fund of Denver, Colo.
Thanks to a grant of $75,000, the New Mexico Tech “World of Wonder” campaign has now raised over $850,000 toward its new building, with approximately $650,000 to go.
The “World of Wonder” campaign aims to replace the current Children's Center, which was made from an older, remodeled house and has a long waiting list. The new center will have a higher capacity and will be New Mexico Tech’s first LEED building, meeting nationally accepted benchmarks for the design, construction, and operation of high performance green buildings.
An effective child care center is essential for students and faculty at New Mexico Tech, who can take and teach classes while knowing that their children are well-cared-for. The Children's Center also serves residents of Socorro, who may send their children there.
The Daniels Fund operates the Daniels Fund Scholarship Program and the Daniels Fund Grants Program in Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming. The Fund was established in 1997 by Bill Daniels, a pioneer in cable television known for his kindness and generosity to those in need.
Daniels directed that the fund focus its grant making in the areas of aging, alcoholism and substance abuse, amateur sports, disabilities, education, the homeless and disadvantaged, and youth development. About two-thirds of its grants go to Colorado-based programs; the rest are awarded mostly to organizations in other Rocky Mountain states.
The $75,000 donation from the Daniels Fund to the New Mexico Tech Children’s Center entitles the fund to have its name on the staff/parent resource center. Donors at other levels are also recognized:
- A gift of $500,000 or greater will put your name or your company’s name as the co-name of the Children’s Center;
- A gift of $250,000 or greater will have your name or your company’s name on one of the two classrooms to be built;
- A gift or $250,000 or greater will have your name or company’s name as the sponsor of the playground;
- A gift of $100,000 or greater will have your name or company’s name as the sponsor of the multipurpose room;
- A gift of $75,000 or greater will have your name or company’s name as the sponsor of the staff parent resource room.
- A gift of $50,000 or greater will have your name or company’s name as the sponsor of the children’s garden.
For more information, contact Cheryl Pulaski, Director for Advancement, at 575-835-6769.