Attention Students: New Email Policy
SOCORRO, N.M. March 8, 2010
Memo To Students
The New Mexico Tech administration is instituting the following policies regarding student e-mails.
- All students must have a New Mexico Tech e-mail account at the nmt.edu domain.
- All official university communications will be sent to this address.
- Students are responsible for checking their nmt.edu email for messages from the university.
- Student email addresses in Banner will be updated to reflect their NMT email address.
- Any email address other than the official address will remain in Banner, but will be changed to “inactive” status.
- This policy will take effect Monday, March 15, 2010.
Tech administrative offices will use email as the primary method of communicating with students. This change is intended to improve communication and standardize procedures. Official communications from the university include campus-wide messages, such as emergencies (closures and delays), important events and other policy changes that affect students.
Messages also could be to individuals, such as notifications from administrative offices. These messages could come from any staff office – Student Accounts, Cashier, Financial Aid, Residential Life or others. Messages could be addressed to specific groups, like “Class of 2010” or “All Freshmen” or “All Physics Students.”
Please note that personal information will never be sent via email. Also, Tech staff will never ask for personal information through email.
Students who have forgotten their nmt.edu email address can access that information via BanWeb. Accessing student information, including grades, financial aid or account balance will be done via the BanWeb site, using your login.
Students are free to forward their nmt.edu email to another address.
Questions about these policy changes can be directed to the Office of Academic Affairs at 835-5227 or the Office of Student and University Relations at 835-5880.
– NMT –
By Thomas Guengerich/New Mexico Tech