5th Annual Gingerbread Contest
SOCORRO, N.M. December 2, 2009 – The entry deadline for the 5th Annual New Mexico Tech Gingerbread House Contest is fast approaching.
|Luis Mendez (front) won the 12-and-under contest in 2008. Above, he poses with his winning gingerbread house and all the other children from the City of Socorro after-school program, all of whom entered last year's contest.|
All entries must be delivered to Fidel Center between 1 and 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 7, at the Fidel Center. Judging in three age groups will be Tuesday, Dec. 8. The contest is open to anyone.
|Dr. Penelope Boston, Earth and Environmental Science professor, built a non-traditional gingerbread creation. Known for her research about cave environments, Boston entered a gingerbread cave with human and alien cavers.|
- Entries will be judged on originality, overall appearance, choice and use of materials and difficulty of design.
- Contestants are not limited to building a house; any type of structure – real or imaginary – is eligible.
- All major components (walls and roofs) must be constructed of gingerbread. However, contestants under 12 years old may use graham crackers, cookies or other edible “building materials.”
- All parts must be edible. For example, wrapped candies must be unwrapped and lollipops must have edible stems. The only exception is that contestants may add Christmas lighting.
- Gingerbread creations may not be taller than 26 inches and must be attached to a plywood base no larger than 18"x24". Plus, the base surface (but not the sides) must be concealed with an edible product.
- Youth entrants must have done all their own construction.
Judging will take place Tuesday, December 8. Prizes will be awarded in these age groups: 12 and Under; 13 to 17 and 18 and Over.
The entries will be on display at Fidel Center from December 8 to 18. Entries must be picked up on December 18 by 3 p.m. Any entry not picked up will be donated for distribution by The StoreHouse to area families.
Entries cannot be sold or raffled except for an approved charity.
– NMT –