State Of New Mexico Hosting Free Water Testing
SOCORRO, N.M. July 17, 2013 – The State of New Mexico is providing free water testing for local residents who have private wells. Bring a water sample to the FidelCenter atrium from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, July 25.
This free water quality testing program is sponsored by the New Mexico Department of Health and the New Mexico Environment Department
SocorroCounty residents who have private wells serving homes not connected to a public water utility are welcome to participate.
How to Collect the Water Sample:
• Use a clean glass or plastic container (at least a liter).
• Do not use containers that have a strong odor, such as citrus or pickle jars.
• Collect the sample before any water treatment systems such as reverse osmosis, water softener, or carbon filter.
• Let the water run for a couple of minutes before collecting the sample.
• Collect the sample as close to the time of testing as possible.
• Cover the container with a clean lid.
If available, please provide well depth, depth to water, well casing material (i.e., steel, PVC) and distance from well to the nearest septic tank-leach field system.
Limited analysis will be performed the same day, and you can either pick up results or have them mailed to you.
Drinking water will be field tested for the following parameters:
∆ Electrical conductivity
For more information, call the NMED Ground Water Quality Bureau at (505) 222-9574.
– NMT –