Did this e-newsletter get forwarded to you? You can sign up to receive this weekly message at www.nmt.edu/nmt-calendar
Flag Rotation at the Fidel Center
- Colombia, Croatia, Spain, Brazil, Taiwan and the U.S. (October 3 to 9).
New Mexico Tech on the web and in the news:
Sandia National Laboratories announced that two of its employees who are NMT graduates have earned national awards from HENAAC. Dr. Bernie Hernandez-Sanchez, a chemist, won for outstanding technical achievement. Vincent Urias, a computer scientist, was named a luminary honoree. HENAAC is the Hispanic Engineer National Achievement Awards Committee. Read more at http://bit.ly/2duWttZ.
- The Albuquerque Journal published an article about Tech students who raised money for Puerto Seguro, the homeless shelter in Socorro. Click here for the article.
The Taos News published two articles related to research at the Bureau of Geology, both featuring the work of Peggy Johnson and Paul Bauer.
- J.R. Logan wrote an article with the headline: "Study says there may be limits to sustainable growth south of Taos." Logan summarizes the results and implications of Open-file Report 581, Hydrogeologic investigation of the southern Taos Valley, Taos County, New Mexico, by Johnson, Bauer, and Brigitte Felix, 2016. http://bit.ly/2dl1BvB
- Meg Scherch wrote a separate article with the headline “Mineral monsters, skanky rocks and crazy egg cartons – welcome to Taos’ aquifer.” That piece offers a detailed description of Johnson and Bauer’s research and a presentation they gave to the Taos County Commission in June. http://bit.ly/2d4HPqf
Items of interest:
Did you know? New Mexico Tech sends surplus inventory to Bentley's Auction every month. The company auctions New Mexico Tech inventory on the second Friday of every month. Auctions start at 8:30 a.m. at 4900 Pan American Freeway NE, Albuquerque. Buyers can bid on items in person, on-line or by phone. The website is www.bentleysauction.com or auctionsouthwest.com. Bentley's phone number is (505) 344-1812.
- What can you do with your empty printer and copier ink cartridges, and the cell phones you're no longer using? Put them in a collection box for the Rotary Club of Socorro. This project is partly community service, to keep the cartridges and phones out of the landfill, and partly an effort to raise funds for Rotary's local, national, and international projects. You will find collection boxes on campus in the Fidel Center, Human Resources, NRAO, MRO, and the Bureau of Geology. You will also see them at various locations around Socorro. Rotary thanks you for your help!
Homes For Sale on Tech Hill
- 498 Mesa Dr. Contact James Davidson at (575) 835-2710 at firstname.lastname@example.org
1221 Apache Dr.. Contact Dima Kogan at (626) 319-4463.
1224 Apache Drive. Contact realtor Betty Houston at (575) 835-1422 or email@example.com.
- 503 Mesa Drive. Contact: Aili, (575) 518-8687, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
1218 Apache Drive. Contact Cecilie Bodman of Equity New Mexico at (505) 250-1356. For more information about this home, go to http://www.trulia.com/property/3015582205-1218-Apache-Dr-Socorro-NM-87801
501 NW Mesa Drive. Contact Jeanene Hall, ERA Sellers and Buyers Real Estate at (575) 835-0888 or email@example.com.