Flags On Display at Fidel Center:
- Portugal, Kenya, Nepal, Nigeria, Russia and Netherlands.
New Mexico Tech in the News
The Albuquerque Journal published an article about space launches by UP Aerospace at the Spaceport in southern New Mexico. The article mentions Tech assistant professor Dr. Andrei Zagrai and the launches that his students have done. Click here to read the article.
Items of interest:
Alpha Sigma Kappa, the academic sorority at Tech, is promoting a blanket drive this year. Anyone interested in donating can bring lightly-used blankets or sleeping bags to any of a dozen drop-off sites now through Friday, Dec. 5. The donated items will then be given to a local shelter. Drop-off locations include several restaurants, retail stores, the Fidel Center and Skeen Library.
The Advancement Office wrapped up its fall phone-a-thon last week. However, anyone is welcome to contribute to the fund-raising effort. Your donations are 100 percent tax-deductible. Click here to visit the donation page.
The Information Technology Center is scheduling some down-time to upgrade the H Drive over the Thanksgiving Break. The outage would start at 10 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 27, and would last through 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 29. During the down-time the following services will be unavailable: the H Drive, the G Drive, and the O Drive, Banner Reports/Hyperion Reports (Brioserve will be up), ABRA (HR).Any other data stored on the H:\ drive (such as PSTs). Please make sure all files opened from these drives are closed before Thursday morning at 10 a.m. This includes but is not limited to documents, spreadsheets, usage of the Hyperion Client, and ABRA clients.
- The New Mexico FIRST Lego League is looking for students, professors and staff members to be judges for an upcoming competition. The FIRST Lego League Qualifying Tournament will be at Sarracino Middle School on Saturday, Dec. 13
About 22 teams of fourth- to eighth-graders will compete in teams of two to 10 people. As many as 17 junior teams will compete in the kindergarten through third-grade category.
The older teams need judges in three categories – robot, core value (team work) and project (Science Fair-style judging). The younger teams need volunteer reviewers.
Anyone interested should contact Mrs. Gerry Klinglesmith at firstname.lastname@example.org, 838-1309 or 505-321-6062. More information is available at www.firstlegoleague.org or www.nmfll.org.
The Purchasing Department is sponsoring an important training on P-Card for all card holders, managers/approvers and accountants. The training will be covering the new Bank of America Works program along with an overview of the New Mexico Tech purchase card program. 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 19, in Cramer 124. To register, email email@example.com.
- Chartwell's started construction on dining room areas in the Fidel Center. None of the construction should be too intrusive, as the majority of the indoor work will be done over the winter break, and the outside work done between now and then. This is what we will be working on:
- Expansion of indoor seating to include what is currently the patio, expanding seating by over 100.
- Installation of a chef's demonstration station in the dining room, which will increase the variety of selections we have available.
Refacing of cabinets, lengthening of counter space, covering of counter with stainless, and a few other minor
- The ongoing construction of the new Bureau of Geology building will necessitate the closure of the sidewalk along Bullock Avenue during working hours. This will remain through the summer. The construction crew will block the areas when they arrive to work and remove them when they finish for the day. The construction crew will also post signs to direct pedestrians to go around to the north side of Bullock keeping them away from the construction area. This project is scheduled to be completed in late winter/early spring 2015.
- What can you do with your empty printer and copier ink cartridges, and the cell phones you're no longer using? Put them in a collection box for the Rotary Club of Socorro. This project is partly community service, to keep the cartridges and phones out of the landfill, and partly an effort to raise funds for Rotary's local, national, and international projects. You will find collection boxes on campus in the Fidel Center, Human Resources, NRAO, MRO, and the Bureau of Geology. You will also see them at various locations around Socorro. Rotary thanks you for your help!
Homes For Sale on Tech Hill
1302 North Drive. Contact Rob Sanford at (217) 390-8045 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
1218 Apache Drive. Contact Dr. Ashok Ghosh at 575-517-0793 or email@example.com
499 Mesa. For more information, contact Bill at firstname.lastname@example.org or (505) 306-3490.
- 501 NW Mesa Place. Contact Don Brown, Socorro Plaza Realty at (505) 507-2915 or email@example.com.