Here is a starting point for seeking out funding options beyond teaching assistantships, research assitantships, and scholarships.
How to find funding:
Note: Most recent postings are at the top. We leave old postings on the list so that you may research them for potential applications for next year.
- Native American Congressional Internship Program
- Website: www.udall.gov
- Internship is for American Indian and Alaska Native undergraduate, graduate, and law students
- Application deadline is January 31, 2015
- National Nuclear Security Administration Graduate Fellowship Program
- Disciplines: Nuclear Physics/Engineering,Chemical Engineering, Radiation Health Physics, Radiochemistry, chemical Sciences, Applied Physics, or backgrounds in safety and health, infrastructure and operations management, or finance/accounting
- Graduate Fellowships in Global Nuclear Security
- Website: ngfp.pnnl.gov administered by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Recruiting event was Monday, Sept. 29, 2014, 4pm, Cramer 124
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
- Website: www.nsfgrfp.gov
- The Graduate Research Fellowship program supports outstanding graduate students in NSF supported disciplines in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees.
- Bridgat Scholarship Program
- Website: http://www.bridgat.com/scholarships-graduate.html
- The Scholarships are merit-based and one individual will be awarded a one-time scholarship of up to $6,500. Major selection criteria include academic performance and demonstrated leadership in cross cultural activities.
- Applicants must be full-time graduate students currently enrolled at an accredited institution in theU.S. and hold a valid student ID card.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale to apply.
- Applicants must be citizens of an Asian country.
- NRAO Funding Opportunities:
- Jansky Fellowship
- Website: https://science.nrao.edu/opportunities/postdoctoral-programs/jansky
- The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announces the 2014 Jansky Fellowship Program which provides outstanding postdoctoral opportunities for research in astronomy.
- Grote Reber Doctoral Fellowships
- Website: https://science.nrao.edu/opportunities/student-programs/ReberFellowships
- The Grote Reber Doctoral Research Program at NRAO (formerly known as the "NRAO Pre-Doctoral Research Program") is jointly sponsored by the NRAO and by universities who wish their Ph.D. thesis students to have a concentrated exposure to research in radio astronomy, its instruments, or computational techniques under the supervision of an NRAO staff astronomer or engineer.
- Jansky Fellowship
- DOE Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program
- Website: http://science.energy.gov/wdts/scgsr/how-to-apply/priority-sc-research-areas/
- This program will fund Ph.D. students who have advanced to candidacy to spend three to twelve consecutive months conducting dissertation research at a national laboratory. Applicants must be U.S. citizens who are pursuing a Ph.D. in physics, chemistry, material sciences, engineering, biology, mathematics, computer or computational sciences or areas of environmental science that are aligned with the mission of the Office of Science. Students who are currently working at a national laboratory are not eligible to apply for an award at that laboratory.
- Application website: http://science.energy.gov/wdts/scgsr/
- 2014 applications were due September 24, 2014