Golf Course Policies
Effective: January 1, 2009
The New Mexico Tech Golf Course is an uncrowded, 18-hole championship layout of rolling hills, dramatic elevation changes, and dynamic views of the Rio Grande Valley, with a backdrop of “M” Mountain, a Socorro icon. The tree-lined fairways serve as the permanent site of the Socorro Open, a week-long event that ranks as one of the largest pro-am golf tournaments in the Southwest. The course was ranked by Golf Digest as “one of the 10 best public courses in New Mexico, and one of America’s 500 best places you can play.”
Memberships (per year)
- Single Adult Memberships $787.00
- Additional Family Member $267.00
- Family Membership 1,241.00
- Junior Membership (21 and under) $187.00
- Out-of-County Membership $420.00
- Additional Family Members $267.00
- New Mexico Tech Student Membership $187.00
- Range Membership $175.00
- Department Membership $1,000.00
- Corporate Membership -- See Agreement form
- Additional Employees -- See Agreement form
- New Mexico Tech Staff $590.25
- Additional family members $200.25
- Regular $28.00
- Senior (60+) $20.00
- Juniors (18 or under) $5.00
- New Mexico Tech Students $5.00
- Twilight $25.00 Includes Cart
- Nine Holes$12.00
- Eighteen Holes $24.00
- Nine Holes, Single Rider $9.00
- Eighteen Holes, Single Rider $18.00
- Large Bucket $5.00
- Small Bucket $3.50
Locker Fees $50.00
Socorro Men’s Golf Association
- Adults after 3/1/04 $40.00
- Juniors after 3/1/04 $30.00
Socorro Women’s Golf Association $47.00
New Mexico Tech employees receive a 25 percent discount off membership through payroll deduction.
All retired New Mexico Tech employees receive a 25 percent discount.
All prices include tax.
All tee times are taken seven days in advance.
Hours of Operation
- Summer Season (March – October)
- Mondays 10:00am-Dusk
- Tuesdays through Fridays 7:30-Dusk
- Weekends 6:30-Dusk
- Winter Season (November – February)
- Mondays 10:00am-Dusk
- Tuesdays through Fridays 8:00-Dusk
- Weekends 8:00-Dusk
The New Mexico Tech Golf Shop is open every day of the year except Christmas Day and Thanksgiving Day, weather permitting. Exceptions: Course may be closed for maintenance and such closing will be coordinated between the golf professional and the Facilities Management golf superintendent. No more than nine holes will be closed at a time.
The driving range will be closed Monday until noon for maintenance and watering. All other days the range will be open when the golf shop is open for business. Range may be closed from time to time for other maintenance and such closing will be coordinated between the golf professional and the golf superintendent.
- November – February, 4 p.m.
- March, 5 p.m.
- April, 6 p.m.
- May, 6:30 p.m.
- June – August, 7 p.m.
- September, 6 p.m.
- October, 5:30 p.m.
Players may receive a raincheck if rain, wind, cold weather, lightning, or personal emergency has interrupted their round, provided:
- They have not started their second nine holes, or
- They have not completed more than six holes after purchasing a Twilight rate ticket
Rainchecks or refunds will not be issued because of slow play or crowded conditions on the course after the round has started.
A Valid Raincheck:
- Is non-transferable and can only be used by the person to whom it was issued.
- Must have all information completed on the form.
- Is only acceptable for the amount of play that is originally purchased.
- Has no expiration date.
The golf professional, by his discretion and in accordance with this policy, has the authority to grant or deny the issuance of a raincheck.
Refunds will not be given for any reason after the golfer has started the round.
Juniors must be under 17 years of age and in high school to be eligible for the junior rates. Juniors can not rent carts (must be 18 years of age with a valid driver’s license to rent carts).
At the discretion of the golf professional, the course can be closed to juniors at any time due to crowded conditions.
Students are those that are under 22 years of age and/or still attending school of higher education.
Reservations for Tee Times will be taken 7 days in advance.
Singles and twosomes have no priority on the golf course on weekends.
Fivesomes are permitted at the discretion of the golf professionals provided each player rides in a cart.
Wednesday is the recognized Ladies Day at New Mexico Tech Golf Course. The organization should furnish the golf professional with an annual schedule of the tee times desired. The number one tee will be reserved during these scheduled times as long as necessary to accommodate the members present.
The use of gasoline carts is a privilege granted upon the condition that such vehicles be operated in accordance with course rules. Carts must be kept off all tee boxes and at least 30 feet from the apron of all putting surfaces. Carts may not be permitted on the course when their use could damage the course, as determined by the course superintendent or golf professional. The golf professional reserves the right to refuse rental of carts to persons whom he feels could present a nuisance or danger to other patrons of the golf course, or for being abusive with carts. Privately owned carts are not permitted on the course
Pull carts are restricted from the same area as gasoline carts, i.e., around greens and on the tees.
Course Control -- All players must register in the golf shop prior to teeing off. All players are required to have their receipt on their person when playing the golf course. Every player must have a set of clubs and pay before teeing off. Course play will be monitored by marshals on weekends and on days when it is deemed necessary by the golf professional.
Parking facilities are provided across Canyon Road to the south of the golf shop and west of the driving range. Private vehicles parked on the golf course in other than designated parking areas may be towed away at the owner’s expense.
- Golfers are asked to follow all policies and rules set forth by the Institution. Individuals are asked to repair all ball marks and to replace all divots. Players who fail to adhere to any policy, or who willfully damage the golf course, will be advised that further abuses will result in forfeiture of golf course privileges. Consistent lack of courtesy to other players and actions which may tend to endanger the safety of others on the golf course, such as throwing clubs, driving a ball into the group ahead, etc., may also result in forfeiture of golf course privileges.
- Trespassers, dog-walkers, bicycle riders, picnickers, joggers, or any unauthorized person shall not be permitted to walk, ride, or rest on the golf course.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in the clubhouse area at all times.
- Golfers are responsible for all or any damages to passing vehicles, parked vehicles, or any damages that occur to another persons property while they are playing golf at the New Mexico Tech Golf Course.
- Use of Course
- All players must register in the golf shop before playing. They must have a membership or pay regular junior fees prior to playing
- Use of Practice Area
- Because of limited practice facilities and the great number of potential users by the schools, the golf coaches will coordinate use of the facilities through the golf professional. Golf coaches must be present at all practices in order for juniors to have use of facilities. Golf coaches are also subject to the same schedule of fees as any other adult.
- Use of Driving Range
Because of the current schedule fee structure and the great number of users, golf coaches are asked to have their players “clean” the rough areas of the driving range once a week.
The following are eligible for complimentary play at New Mexico Tech Golf Course:
- Host professional and assistant professionals.
- Full time employees of the physical plant who are under contract to work at the golf course.
- Permanent employees of the golf shop.
- Student employees of the golf shop.
- Visiting PGA Professionals (Sun Country PGA Professionals may have complimentary golf carts)
Annual Membership Policy
Annual memberships will be sold any day of the year. Membership will be valid for one year from the date of purchase. To qualify as an immediate family member, all members must reside in the same household, and children must be under the age of 18. Second, third and additional family memberships may be purchased at any time during the valid period of the original membership.
- Adult membership (21 years or older) $787.00
- Additional family members $267.00 (must reside in same household)
- Junior membership (17 years or younger) $187.00
- Student membership (18-22 years) $187.00
- Tech Student membership (full-time student $187.00
At the discretion of the Golf Shop, the head golf professional will consider unusual or extreme membership requests that are not covered in the previous paragraph.
Any special or unusual circumstances must be submitted in writing before the membership contract may be terminated.
Refunds may be considered in extreme and unusual circumstances such as, but not limited to: death, physical disability, or moving out of the area. Requests for refunds are to be submitted in writing to the head golf professional. Should a refund be approved, it will be made in accordance with the following schedule:
Refund on first membership
Tournament Fee Schedule for 2009
NON-LOCAL TOURNAMENTS-$50 Tournament fee includes greens fees, carts, range balls, and hamburger fry. Fee also includes customized scorecards, set-up of special events (closest-to-pins, long drive, etc…), professional tournament scoring, nametags on carts, tournament rules, and golf course marshals.
LOCAL and BENEFIT TOURNAMENTS-$40 Tournament fee includes greens fees, carts, range balls, and hamburger fry. Fee also includes customized scorecards, set-up of special events (closest-to-pins, long drive, etc…), professional tournament scoring, nametags on carts, tournament rules, and golf course marshals.
SENIOR TOURNAMENTS-$45 Tournament fee includes greens fees, carts, range balls, and steak fry. Fee also includes customized scorecards, set-up of special events (closest-to-pins, long drive, etc…), professional tournament scoring, nametags on carts, tournament rules, and golf course marshals.
DEPARTMENTAL TOURNAMENTS-$25 Tournament fee includes green fees, carts, range balls, and hamburger fry. Fee also includes customized scorecards, set-up of special events(closest-to-pins, long drive, etc…), professional tournament scoring, nametags on carts, tournament rules, and golf course marshals.
JUNIOR TOURNAMENTS-$20Tournament fee includes green fees, range balls and hamburger fry. Fee also includes customized scorecards, set-up of special events (closest-to-pins, long drive, etc…), professional tournament scoring, nametags on carts, tournament rules, and golf course marshals.
MULTIPLE DAY TOURNAMENTS-A flat fee of $500 per day for greens fees may be charged if a tournament purchases merchandise in excess of $10,000 from the golf shop. Cart and range fees of $13 per day per person will be charged if a tournament qualifies and wishes to have carts and range balls as part of their tournament package. Fee also includes customized scorecards, set-up of special events (closest-to-pins, long drive, etc…), professional tournament scoring, nametags on carts, tournament rules, and golf course marshals.