Tax: Travel & Moves

Travel topics

IRS announcement on Mileage rates:

Beginning on Jan. 1, 2015, the standard mileage rates for reimbursement for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:

  • 57.5 cents per mile for business miles driven
  • 23 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
  • 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations

The mileage rates are set by the IRS and are expected to change each year. Please be sure you're using the correct rate.


Travel Reimbursement Procedures for students:  A determination will be made on whether the student or NMT is the beneficiary of the travel spend. When the student is the beneficiary, the travel spend is treated as taxable compensation. Mandatory tax withholding from the reimbursement amount is done for foreign students. No withholding is required for US students, but the 1099-MISC tax form is sent to US students (and resident aliens for tax purposes) at year end.

Please use the form on the Travel office web page : 

Travel Reimbursement Procedures for vendors and guests: Non-employee Travel Reimbursement Form . Forward the completed form to the travel office.  The procedures to follow for vendors and NMT guests are documented here:Non-employee Travel Procedure

Travel Reimbursement for Job Applicants: Under IRS ruling 63-77, interview expenses for a job applicant are not considered income to the individual when the reimbursement does not exceed the actual expenses. This applies equally to US citizens and foreigners. Complete the non-employee travel form.


Contact the Federal Tax Compliance manager on ext 5984 with questions on when travel payments are considered taxable income.


Employee Moves

Employee Moving Expense Policy

Procedures:The department Vice Presidents administer the employee move policy for activity in their department. The departmental coordinator is responsible for communicating procedures to the new employee for the steps in the reimbursement process. The departmental accountant is responsible for coordinating the issuance of advances, where the advance is part of the benefit offered to new employees.

To issue an advance to the new employee, a Direct Payment form (DP) and backup documentation is required to process the expenses. An editable pdf version of a DP is located on the Accounts Payable page.

After the move, all employees shall present their receipts for move expenses and a signed version of the expense form (example is linked below) to the Federal Tax Compliance manager (Brown Hall, rm 100) within the timeline stated in their offer letter. Individuals in staff positions may receive an email defining the home move benefit instead of a formal job offer letter.

Documentation on advances and reimbursements for moving expenses are reviewed by the Federal Tax Compliance Mgr and then forwarded to the Payroll Department for processing. The employee receives the reimbursemnt funds on a regular paycheck.  


Home Move Expense Form example This form is part of the backup to the DP and is required to either receive a reimbursement of expenses paid out, or to close out an advance. The employee will be given assistance from the Federal Tax Compliance manager to complete the reimbursement spreadsheet and identify any income tax liability that the employee has.

FAQ on home move expenses:

1. What individuals are covered under this benefit?  The IRS definition of 'dependents' is followed to determine what individuals' moving costs are covered.

2. Can I claim the costs of moving two homes? You must identify your 'main home' if you have multiple residences. The personal transportation costs are reimbursed from your main home to your new job location at NMT. But the amounts paid for a professional moving service that moved goods from your 2nd home may be covered.

3. What is the name of the professional moving company referenced in the policy?  NMIMT no longer has a contract with a professional moving company. The dollar limits in the purchasing procedures have evolved since the home move policy was approved in 2000. Multiple bids are not required when the payment to the moving company is less than $5000.

4. Am I going to be reimbursed for all my move expenses? The level of reimbursement varies with each employee. The benefit amount is specified in your job offer letter. It may be the actual cost with a not-to-exceed limit, or a lump sum amount.

5. Who pays the income tax on this benefit?  The employee will have a tax liability if their benefit amount exceed the moving expenses allowed under the IRS guidelines in their publication 521 - Moving Expenses. Each employee must complete the Home Move Expense form (see the example linked above). This worksheet identifies the taxable amount of their home move benefit.

6. Do I have to report the move expenses on my personal tax return?  It depends. Please see IRS publication 521 to determine what to report on your tax return. The W-2 form you receive from NMIMT will report your home move reimbursement amount. It is important to note that expenses you incurred that are larger than the amount covered under your employee benefit may be able to be claimed as a deduction on your tax return. Consult your tax advisor for assistance.