|New Mexico Tech and Socorro have many interesting and exciting places to visit, see and do! Let us help you plan a great outing for your conference.
On Campus at New Mexico Tech:
- New Mexico Tech Golf Course - You are invited to play our beautiful and challenging course. Our course is an un-crowded 18-hole, championship layout of rolling hills, dramatic elevation changes, and dynamic views of the middle Rio Grande valley. The tree-lined fairways serve as the permanent site of the Conrad Hilton Open, one of the largest pro-am golf tournaments in the Southwest. We offer golf carts, year round play, snack bar, private and group golf lessons, and a completely stocked Pro Shop. Facilities include: putting green, pitching green, practice range, club rental, and tournament services. Contact usfor more details.
- Mineral Museum - Our Mineral Museum, housed between Workman Building and Jones Hall, is home to thousands of mineral specimens from all over the world including unusual gift items. It is open Monday -Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00p.m. and weekends, 2:00p.m.- 3:00p.m. Special Tours can be arranged by contacting our office.
- NMT Bookstore - Located in the Fidel Center next to the post office, you can find NMT items, postcards, office supplies, gifts, and snacks. Look for a discount coupon in your welcome packet.
- Swim Center - Located in front of South Hall, our swim center boasts diving, lap and recreational swimming. Hours vary in the summer, so ask us for a schedule. Certified lifeguards are always on hand, and the pool may be rented out for your event! However, the pool is free to any conference member who is staying on campus, during regular business hours. Just show your room key for entrance!
- Gymnasium - Located directly across from Presidents Hall, the gym is home to basketball, racquetball, free and machine weights, table tennis, and a squash court. Like the Swim Center, the gym is free to any conference member who is staying on campus, during regular business hours. If your are staying on campus in our residence halls, just show your room key for entrance! The gym may also be rented out for your event.
- Game room - Located on the first floor of the Fidel Center, the game room hosts billiards, air hockey, video games, and snacks. Hours vary, so check with us for hours during your conference.
- Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge -- The Bosque is a wintering area for over 30,000 snow geese, 12,000 sandhill cranes, 20,000 ducks and the endangered whooping cranes. It also provides a popular year round viewing area for many other types of wildlife.
- Very Large Array Telescope- the VLA radio telescope stretches across the Plains of San Agustin. The VLA has been featured in the movie Contact, and a music video by Jon Bon Jovi. The National Radio Astronomy Observatory home offices are located on campus.
- Langmuir Laboratory - This lab, focused on lightening research, sits at the summit of the beautiful Magdalena Mountains. The drive to the top of the mountain, while somewhat treacherous, is gorgeous year round.